Oakville is a picturesque town located in Southern Ontario, Canada, known for its charming downtown, waterfront, and natural scenery. It’s no wonder that Oakville has become a popular destination for tourists seeking a quiet and relaxing getaway. With the rise of vacation rental platforms such as Airbnb, many homeowners have taken advantage of this demand and started renting out their properties to visitors. However, it’s important to note that there are regulations in place that homeowners must comply with. In this article, we’ll explore Airbnb regulations in Oakville, Ontario, and what you need to know as a homeowner.
What is Airbnb?
Airbnb is an online marketplace that connects people who have extra space in their homes or properties with travelers who need a place to stay. The platform has become increasingly popular in recent years as an alternative to traditional hotels and bed and breakfasts.
Do you need a permit to rent out your property on Airbnb in Oakville?
Yes, if you’re planning to rent out your property on Airbnb in Oakville, you will need to obtain a Short-Term Accommodation Rental (STAR) permit from the town. The permit costs $190 and is valid for one year. The STAR permit is required for any short-term rental, including Airbnb, and is intended to ensure the safety and comfort of guests while protecting the community.
What are the requirements for obtaining a STAR permit?
- A short-term accommodation host must be the principal resident.
- You must be the owner of the property or have written permission from the owner to rent it out.
- You must provide proof of liability insurance coverage of at least $2 million.
- You must agree to comply with all applicable by-laws, including noise, parking, and waste management.
Following the issuance of the operator’s license, there are a few more processes that must be completed by the host:
The following is an outline of additional requirements for operators of STAs:
- It is required that hosts include their license number on any advertisements they run.
- They are required to exhibit their license at a visible area within the STA when it is relevant to do so.
- Make sure that every renter in the STA has access to a copy of the Renters Code.
- The hosts are responsible for maintaining a record of the renter. In point of fact, the record of the renter is required to be kept in a location where it can be easily accessed by an officer at any time over the period of one year. The following items are required to be included in the record:
- The date of arrival
- Duration of one’s stay
- Home address of the renter
- Receipt confirmation of the Renters Code
How many nights can you rent out your property on Airbnb in Oakville?
Homeowners in Oakville can rent out their properties for a maximum of 180 nights per calendar year. This is to prevent short-term rentals from disrupting the character of residential neighborhoods and to protect the availability of long-term rental housing.
What are the penalties for violating Airbnb regulations in Oakville?
If you violate Airbnb regulations in Oakville, you may face penalties, including fines and legal action. The town may also revoke your STAR permit, making it illegal for you to rent out your property on Airbnb.
What are the benefits of obtaining a STAR permit?
Obtaining a STAR permit can provide several benefits for homeowners, including:
- Ensuring that your property meets safety and health standards for guests.
- Providing liability insurance coverage in case of damage or injury.
- Ensuring that you’re complying with all applicable by-laws and regulations.
- Demonstrating that you’re a responsible host who cares about the well-being of your guests and the community.
If you’re planning to rent out your property on Airbnb in Oakville, Ontario, it’s important to understand and comply with the town’s regulations. Obtaining a STAR permit is a crucial step in ensuring that your rental property is safe and comfortable for guests and that you’re operating legally and responsibly
By following the regulations and guidelines set forth by the town, homeowners and guests can enjoy the benefits of Airbnb while contributing to the local economy and maintaining the character of Oakville’s residential neighborhoods. If you’re looking to rent out your property, it’s important to understand and comply with the regulations in place.
Check out Airbnb Regulations in Brampton, Ontario.